List of Items useful for children & local villages in Myanmar
If you are keen to contribute In-kind donations, the following is the list of useful items for the children and local villagers in Myanmar.
Daily use items
- Bathing soap bar (non liquid type)
- Colour pencil
- School bags
- Small notebooks with nice cover design
- Rain coat (non-disposable type. Those that can be reused and lasting ones)
- Used clothing for children aged 3 - 18.
Book items (English only)
- Non fiction books which is helpful in widening the knowledge horizons of the children such as books related to:
(i) Physical Science
(ii) Life Science
(ix) Various types of picture encyclopedia for kids
- Story books suitable for Singaporean Primary 6 and younger
Items we do not collect
- under wear
- any form of toys
- any form of food item
- exercise books
- magazine and newspaper
Some useful notes related to In-kind donation
- People in Myanmar usually do not wear shoes. They wear sandals and slippers which are better to be purchased in Myanmar.
- Umbrella used in Singapore tend to be too weak for the stormy weather there, especially those light and compact size type.
- Children in the villages do not play with toys and we prefer not to encourage it.
- Food item, exercise books are better purchased there to avoid paying tax at custom office.
If you are keen to contribute, please follow the instructions below.
As GVH in Singapore is operated by volunteers without any full time staff, we hope that you could also help play a part in our volunteering team by cleaning (if appropriate), sorting, packing into boxes and sending them to our collection points so as to ease the handling process.
Boxes collected in Singapore will eventually be shipped to Yangon either by hand when volunteers go over, or by shipping company who contributes their extra cargo space. At Yangon side, once boxes are collected, the volunteers in Yangon will open the boxes and repack them appropriately to be redistributed to villages or children homes. During the entire process, operational cost is involved when we rent trucks and drivers in Yangon to send to more remote areas in Myanmar.
Renting of a truck with driver for a day in Yangon cost about $50.00 and it is covered by our GVH administrative cost. If you do not mind covering part of this cost, do send us a fund donation by clicking here for more instructions.
Please have a look at this image.
This image above shows the estimated largest size box we could accept. You could easily ask for empty boxes from any local groceries store or mini mart.
1) Please provide us a list of items (with quantity) which you have added into the box. This can be in the form of a white paper pasted outside the box or written on the box using a black permanent marker pen. This is because we needed to write a Delivery Order to the shipping company and it will ease the paper work process.
2) Then, please seal up using Transparent masking tape (1st choice) or white masking tape (2nd choice).
3) (Optional but we will really appreciate your help if you could do this step as well) Click here or the button below to download the GVH logo and print on A4 size white paper.
Paste the GVH logo on at least 2 opposite side of the box. When pasting, use the transparent masking tape and tape all 4 edges of the A4 size logo securely on the box. This is required to minimized the chance of your box going missing when we ship them via container ship.
Then take a photo of the box and send a whatsapp message to GVH Logistics at +65 97596156 to arrange a meetup day and time.
As of 15 October 2019, the GVH Storeroom has been shifted to:
9004 tampines St 93
It is an industrial estate with cargo lift access.
There is 24-hour access to the place to deposit your donation boxes so you can go there any time of the day to leave your boxes there.
However, before going there, please drop a whatsapp or telegram message to our Logistic IC, Max Chua at +65 97596156 to inform him the date and time you are going over.
This is because you will be leaving the boxes at a temporary holding area and our logistic team will need to go there after our working hours to shift your donated items into the actual storage room.
If you are unable to send the boxes by yourself to our storage facility at Tampines, please drop Max a text to check if any of our volunteers are available to pick the boxes up from you or we could arrange a temporary alternative location for you to pass the boxes to us.
If you are going to our Tampines Store room for the first time, please have a look at the following description of how to go there and where to place the boxes.
Directions and Instructions
1) Once you drive into Tampines Street 93 (via Google navigation), you will see blk 9008 first.
2) Turn right immediately and you will see a sheltered linkway with Blk 9002 on the right.
3) Drive past the sheltered linkway and turn right between blk 9002 and Blk 9004.
4) Drive forward and you will see a sign that says '9004 LIFT LOBBY'. This is the correct place to unload your boxes to bring up to level 2 by the lift.
Note: if you arrive after working hours, the loading bay is usually empty. Just park your vehicle there temporarily.
5) Take the ramp up, followed by the lift.
6) Once u reached level 2, turn right and look for this sign.
7) Follow the sign to Room 02-120. You will see a closed shutter.
8) Gently lift up the shutter and deposit your box there. Then gently close the shutter.
This is it!
But if you arrive there and the shuttle is not closed, it means someone is in the storage area. It could be one of our volunteers or it could be other tenants. Please knock and ask. Just tell him you are depositing donation boxes for Global Village For Hope. If the person you spoke to is unsure what you meant, please just leave the boxes outside the Blue door and inform Max about it.
- The area behind the shutter has a rough dimension of 200cm by 80cm. If your items occupy larger than this dimension, please arrange with Max.
- If you did not see the '9004 LIFT LOBBY' but ended up at a large open car carpark, you are at the back of blk 9004. If you park your vehicle there, you may see a stairway (see photo) from there which can lead you to unit 02-120 as well. However, please do not go up from there because that is the back side of the unit and the shutter there is permanently locked. Please walk to the front and access by the lift lobby Instead.
Want to contribute in other ways?
Contribute funds to our various ongoing projects.